Since 1956, Napier-Reid has emerged as a leading manufacturer of sludge heat exchangers for municipal and industrial wastewater treatment plants.
Napier-Reid tube-in-tube counter-flow heat exchangers excel in digester sludge heating and cooling applications. There are over 250 units installed worldwide.
- BIO-HTX™ patented technology to deliver the most efficient heat transfer design with low headloss.
- All tubes and end castings are removable for easy inspection without draining the water jacket.
- Water-to-Sludge and Sludge-to-Sludge configurations can be used to heat or cool digester sludge.
- Designed and manufactured to comply with all ASME pressure vessel code requirements and ISO 9001 fabrication.
How it Works
The heat exchanger unit is typically located near the boiler. Sludge is pumped from the tank; hot water is pumped from the boiler (if heating is required). The primary fluid or product to be heated or cooled passes through the inner tube while the service fluid for heating or cooling is directed into the outer jacket. Heat is transferred within the tube-in-tube heat exchanger. The counter flow design increases efficiency and makes Napier-Reid’s heat exchangers the best choice for long term energy savings.
- Insulated enclosure for high energy efficiency.
- Constant sludge pipe cross sectional area allowing large particles of sludge to pass without blocking the pipes.
- Compact, custom design to suit existing layout and fit in available space.
- Units are factory assembled and ready for startup and operation.
- BIO-HTX™ units are available from 30 to 2,350 kWh (100,000 to 8,000,000 BTU/hr) in capacity.
- Heat transfer rate includes an allowance for fouling on both the water and the sludge side; this ensures heat transfer will be at design after many years of operation.
- Sludge tube and water jacket share no common seals or connection points. Cross-contamination or hidden leaks are eliminated.
- Minimal pressure drops with constant sludge velocities.
- If preventive cleaning is desired, the BIO-HTX™ design allows an easy disassembly to facilitate cleanout.